This is an updated list of 2021 best free DVD rippers for MacOS (Big Sur incl.). You can free download any free DVD ripping software for macOS and rip DVDs on Mac freely as per the detailed steps here.
The advent of Netflix, Disney+, and Apple TV+ changes the way of home entertaining from physical media to digital video. So the internet is abuzz with views of physical discs heading for the graveyard, especially when Apple and Microsoft gradually phased out DVD drives from Mac and Windows. Ah, there is a U-turn. You can revive your movie library by digitizing them with the help of a DVD ripper for Mac.
Ideally, a good DVD ripper can extract digital files from DVDs to hard drive in such a way to free up space in your room and protect cherished discs against scratch or damage. It further extends the viewing option to your Macbook, iMac, iPhone, iPad, or any other media players. Therefore, you won't drop the DVD in the disc drive, download an MPEG2 decoder, or take along the bulky DVDs any more. For that reason, we handpicked a list of 10 best free DVD ripper software for Mac, at no cost at all. Keep reading.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 on Mac with Free HandBrake. Download and install HandBrake on your Mac. The latest HandBrake version is compatible with macOS 10.11 and later. Click Open Source button to load the source DVD. Select a movie title for later ripping. Convert Videos Between Any Formats Freely. Any Video Converter is designed with no limitations and zero costs. It lets you effortlessly convert any video files to any format for FREE! Supported video inputs: MP4, MPEG, VOB, WMV, 3GP, 3G2, MKV, MOD, M2TS, M2TS, RMVB, AVI, MOV, FLV, F4V, DVR-MS, TOD, DV, MXF, OGG, WEBM, any 4K video format and more.
Download Best yet 100% Free DVD Ripper for Mac
MacX DVD Ripper Free - Convert any DVD without a Hitch! [Most Recommended by Users]
- Copy and digitize any DVD to MP4, MKV, MOV, H.264, HEVC, ISO, etc.
- Convert DVD content for playing on Mac, Hard drive, TV and mobile devices.
- Unique! Support any new DVDs, 99-title DVDs, damaged DVDs, etc.
- Hardware acceleration supported: It takes 5 mins Only to rip a full DVD with original quality.
Top 10 List of Free DVD Rippers for Mac
|Name||Best for||Overall Rating||More Info|
|MacX DVD Ripper Mac Free Edition||Support old/new, 99-title, workout, damaged DVDs. Rip a full DVD in 5 minutes.|
|iSuper DVD Ripper for Mac||One of the only DVD rippers available on Mac App Store.|
|Handbrake||Open source DVD ripper and video transcoder for Mac, Windows, Linux.|
|Makemkv||1:1 copy DVD to MKV with subtitle tracks.|
|VLC||Free media player and DVD ripper with libdvdcss installed.|
|Mac the ripper||User-friendly interface and create DVD backup without quality loss.|
|FFMpeg||A free and open-source software project consisting of a large suite of libraries.|
|Cisdem||Convert DVD and video files between 300+ formats.|
|DVDFab||Upscale DVD quality from 480p to 1080p.|
|AVC||Rip DVD & CD to different formats and devices.|
What Is the Best DVD Ripper for Mac
There are plenty of free DVD ripping software for Mac, which claims to rip any DVDs to any formats, say DVD to MP4, MOV, MPEG, H.264, etc. But most often, you endure a whole day long sitting aside your Macbook, trying to get the contents off DVDs yet find it crashes constantly, makes scratching high frequency sounds, gets choppy video on output, or keeps giving messages like no valid source found, etc. Therefore, you shall take 'something' into consideration prior to download a free Mac DVD ripping software. Here are the 5 decisive criteria that make up the best one.
macOS Compatibility: macOS Big Sur and M1 Macs weed out 32-bit apps, causing many non-Apple apps incl. DVD rippers hang at launch. So make sure you download a 64-bit DVD ripper on Mac if you've upgraded to Catalina and Big Sur.
Fast Speed: Some DVD converters rely on CPU while some others can accelerate the speed twice or more with GPU's concurrent computing. If you have hundreds of DVDs to be digitized, choose a DVD ripper with GPU acceleration enabled.
High Quality: DVD transcoding involves in codec compression that leads to quality degradation inevitably. Good DVD ripping software manages to create high-quality movie file with almost imperceptible loss of quality (preferably the bitrate is around 1500kbps), by virtue of advanced video transcoding kernel.
Ease to Use: Great tools will feature intuitive interface, with features that are clearly marked and locally placed, leaving little room for guesswork. Preferably, Mac users can go DVD to digital process within 3 clicks, regardless of the computer skills.
DVD decrypting ability: DVD studios adopt copy protection schemes, incl. well-known CSS and region code, to prevent illegal redistribution of commercial DVDs. When facing with the schemes, free DVD rippers no longer hold water but end up with errors like halfway encoding, unwatchable rips, etc. Click to see the complete DVD ripping errors & fixes >>
So the ability to defeat encryption codes is a key factor to consider when searching for a good DVD ripping software for Mac.
No.1 - MacX DVD Ripper Mac Free Edition
MacX DVD Ripper Mac Free Edition is a free DVD for Mac (macOS Big Sur) that offers excellent DVD ripping performance. What makes it the top way to rip a DVD on Mac is its ability to read DRM-protected discs. It supports almost all the common and latest encryption schemes on the market, including CSS, Region Code, RCE, ARccOS, Disney X-Project DRM, etc. No third-party tools or extra actions required.
It can freely convert DVDs to HEVC, MOV, M4V, H.264, MKV, AVI, ISO, any other formats you need. With just clicks, you can watch DVD movies on QuickTime, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, Apple TV, other mobiles, TVs, or save DVDs on SSD, NAS, USB, cloud storage. There is a full range of basic editing features to let you cut, crop, merge, add subtitles, etc. 4 unique DVD backup modes are provided for those who want to save a lossless DVD copy.
With GPU acceleration, hyper-threading, and multi-core CPU techs, ripping DVD on Mac is super fast. On a newer MacBook or iMac, it's able to rip a full DVD to MP4 in 5-10 minutes. That's about 300% the speed of Handbrake. The High-quality engine and De-interlacing engine are built-in to produce remarkably high quality.
Free download the DVD ripper on Mac >>
Free download the DVD ripper on Windows >>
No.2 - iSuper DVD Ripper
iSuper DVD Ripper is a useful tool to convert homemade DVDs on MacBook Pro, Air, iMac. It's safe and free to download from the Mac App Store. You can use it to rip non-protected DVDs to MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, MKV, FLV, M4V, HD MP4, HD AVI, HD MKV, HD WMV, and extract the DVD audio in MP3, AAC, WMA, etc.
For un-encrypted DVDs, iSuper DVD Ripper is very helpful to extract the contents from the disc, add some simple video effects, and convert to different output formats. If you want more features to, for example, rip DVDs with copy protections or make an intact copy of DVD in ISO image or DVD folder, you will need to purchase its upgrade version at $26.25.
How do I rip a DVD to my Mac for free?
- To rip DVD on Mac with iSuper DVD Ripper, download it from the Mac App Store. It may require your Apple ID or tough ID to finish the download. Then start the free ripper.
- Insert the disc to the Mac drive or an external disc drive, click the Load Disc button on the top to import the disc.
- Select the DVD chapter you want to rip and click on the menu profile to select an output format.
- You can crop, edit, adjust the video settings if needed. Once finished, select an output folder on your Mac and click the Convert button to start ripping the DVD on Mac.
No.3 - HandBrake
Handbrake is an open-source DVD ripper for Mac, Windows, and Linux. It can freely convert DVD to MP4 and MKV in H.265, H.264, H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8, VP9, and Theora. There are several profiles for Apple, Android, Roku, PSP, Xbox, Web, etc. Handbrake only rips DVD that is homemade or unprotected. It cannot rip commercial DVDs without third party-tool like VLC or DVD decrypter, not to mention the Disney newer protections.
Handbrake is one of the best free choices to rip a DVD to MP4 on Mac. Why? Because it supports AMD VCE, Apple VideoToolbox, Intel Quick Sync Video, and NVIDIA NVENC GPU acceleration for H.264/HEVC encoding. Generally, Handbrake auto enables HW acceleration for DVD ripping tasks and switches to pass 2 for better encoding. That means Handbrake will rip DVDs to MP4 fast on a Macbook or iMac equipped with a powerful video card.
How do I use Handbrake to rip a DVD on a Mac?
- Go to its official site to download and install the freeware. Handbrake works with Mac OS X 10.12 to Big Sur.
- Insert DVD disc into Mac's DVD drive and run Handbrake. Click the Source button to load the DVD. To rip protected DVDs, download libdvdcss on Mac to remove the CSS.
- Click 'Browse' to set where you want to save the output files. Then click 'Presets' and select an output format.
- What's the best setting for Handbrake ripping a DVD? Unless you aim for a target filesize or speed, we recommend you use Constant Quality with an RF of ~21, Contant Frame Rate, Very Slow encode speed, High Encoder Profile, and 3.1 Encoder Level.
- Apply other filters if needed. Once finished, click 'RUN' to rip DVDs for free on Mac now.
Tutorial: download Handbrake for Mac to rip DVD movies >>
No.4 - MakeMKV
To rip protected DVDs on Mac for free, MakeMKV is among the top solutions. It's an easy free DVD/Blu-ray ripper for Mac, Windows, and Linux to free rip DVD to MKV format. MakeMKV remuxes the movie content from DVD MPEG2 to MKV without affecting the quality, reserving all video/audio tracks and subtitles with meta-information. That also means the whole DVD to MKV converting is pretty fast. Therefore, MakeMKV is your premium choice to backup and store your movie contents on your hard drive, NAS or USB.
However, the output MKV files tend to be really big in size. Normally, a converted DVD movie takes 6 GB on the hard drive and a Blu-ray movie takes 30 GB. This is not good especially when you import the DVD movie into iPhone, iPad, devices with limited storage. In addition, don't expect the ability to customize the DVD video.
How do I rip a DVD on Mac with MakeMKV?
- Free download MakeMKV on Mac. It's completely free to rip a DVD disc to Mac during the beta-testing phase, and if you want to decrypt Blu-Ray disc, you will need to pay $50.
- Open the software and insert the disk. It accepts both DVD and Blu-Ray discs. Then click 'Open Disc' to load in the information.
- MakeMKV will scan and identify the titles correctly and pop up a list of disk chapters. Choose the chapter, normally the longest and biggest title.
- Select a folder on Mac to save the output MKV files and click 'Make MKV'. It shows a fast DVD to digital processing speed on Mac, with an average of 30 minutes to rip Blu-ray disc. The output MKV keeps high video and audio quality, but MKV file is enormous (6.73GB MKV file for a 7.84GB DVD in our test).
No.5 - VLC
Among the many ways to rip a DVD on a MacBook Pro, Air, or iMac, there is no doubt the easiest one. Whether you're on Mac, Windows, Mac, Linux, and even mobiles, chance that you have VLC player installed on your system. VLC is not the most powerful DVD ripper for Mac, but it can get the job done. It offers a handy option to convert DVDs to H.264, H.265, MPEG-1/2, MPEG-4, DIVX, H.263, VP8, WMV, MJPEG, Theora, and Dirac.
Like Handbrake, VLC itself supports homemade DVDs only. The good news is that you can use the extra library to decode a protected DVD with VLC. On Mac computer running El Capitan and later, you need to open the Terminal window by hitting Command + Space keys and execute the command brew install libdvdcss to download and install the library (http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.11/macosx/libdvdcss.pkg).
How do I rip a DVD on Mac with VLC?
- Free download VLC on Mac if you haven't installed it. It works on Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later.
- Insert the DVD to Mac and open VLC. On the top menu bar, click File and select Open Disc. It has no problem loading any non-protected DVDs. For commercial DVDs, you need to download libdvdcss, or it'll keep recording the menu video repeatedly.
- At the bottom left corner, check the box forStream output and click the Setting button.
- First, click Browse and a window will pop up to let you name the converted DVD and select an output folder on Mac to save it. Next, open the drop-down menu at the Encapsulation Method and choose an output format. You can rip DVD to QuickTime for Mac. Below are some basic options for video and audio settings.
- Then click Open to convert DVD on Mac with VLC. See the detailed guide on ripping DVD with VLC on Mac.
No.6 - MacTheRipper
MacTheRipper, also called for MTR, has long been a popular tool that helps Mac users to create backup copies of DVDs. It has many versions, and MacTheRipper V2.6.6, V3, and V4 are the most downloaded versions. You should note that only Version 2.6.6 and earlier is free and supports protected DVDs (UOPs, ARccOS, RCE, CSS, APS, etc.). But it doesn't work on Mac OS X newer than Snow Leopard. You need to send gift on its official forum for a license to use MacTheRipper 3.0 and MacTheRipper 4.1.
There are 3 modes provided to rip DVDs on Mac: Auto Full Disc Extraction mode, Auto Full Disc ISO Extraction mode, and Full Disc Rip And Rebuild mode. You can't use it to convert a DVD for QuickTime, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, other devices as it only extracts DVD and won't convert DVD to video. It's the best choice to save a DVD backup copy on Mac hard drive for later burning.
How do I rip a DVD on Mac with MTR?
- Download the latest version of MactheRipper on your Mac, install it for ripping DVD on Mac.
- Insert your DVD disc into your Mac and launch the Mac The Ripper application.
- MTR will detect and scan titles in the disc. If RCE Region Protection was detected, it will ask you to modify the 'RCE Region' number. The RCE Region should be set to the region the DVD was purchased in. For example, the US is Region 1, while Europe is Region 2.
- Click Extract to starting ripping DVD on Mac with MacTheRipper. The converted DVD will be saved as a folder on Mac.
No.7 - FFmpeg
FFmpeg is a powerful, free and open-source command-based project used to handling videos, including ripping DVDs on Mac. FFmpeg supports most video formats, from the most obscure ancient formats up to the latest ones. The libavcodec, libavutil, libavformat, libavfilter, libavdevice, libswscale and libswresample libraries contained in it can satisfy any needs when ripping a DVD on Mac.
However, the command lines require a steep learning curve, making FFmpeg an unfriendly choice for beginners. For advanced users, you can simply brew install ffmpeg GUI on your Mac, input a command line to do many flexible tasks. For example, to rip a DVD with FFmpeg, browse for the DVD files in the Finder and get the .vob file name you want to convert in the VIDEO_TS folder:
To rip DVD to MP4:
ffmpeg -i concat:VTS_02_1.VOB VTS_02_2.VOB VTS_02_3.VOB VTS_02_4.VOB VTS_02_5.VOB -map 0:v:0 -map 0:a:0 -codec:a libvo_aacenc -ab 128 -codec:v libx264 -vpre libx264-ipod640 movie.mp4
To rip DVD to H.265:
ffmpeg -i 'concat:VTS_01_1.VOB VTS_01_2.VOB' -vcodec libx265 new-video-h265.mp4
No.8 - Cisdem Video Converter
Cisdem Video Converter for Mac, though not free, is an all-in-one solution for various audio and video processing operations. It has a strong DVD ripper built-in to rip both homemade and protected DVDs. Most encryptions currently applied on discs are supported, including CSS, region code, RCE, RPC, UOP, and more. Simply load any disc, you can rip it to MP4, MKV, MOV, H.265 MP4, H.264 MKV, and etc. More than that, 300+ ready profiles for Apple devices, Android devices, TVs, etc. are here to make things easier.
The overall DVD ripping speed on Mac is fast with its advanced accelerating tech. You can further adjust the video parameters like resolution, frame rate, aspect ratio, etc. to get the best output quality. However, it won't let you copy DVD intactly to formats like ISO image. Therefore, it can hardly reserve 100% output quality.
No.9 - DVDFab DVD Ripper
DVDFab DVD Ripper for Mac has free and paid versions. With the free version, you're allowed to rip DVDs to MKV and MP4 at 480P only. Don't expect ripping the DVD at a satisfactory speed, as the free version relies on the CPU for encoding. You may also find that newer DVDs are not supported. But if you upgrade to its paid version at $84.99, you will get a far more comprehensive Mac DVD ripping solution.
The paid version is updated with the latest encryptions. Here, you can find almost all the possible output formats or specific devices you may need. You'll have full control over settings for frame rate, output resolution, video, and audio bitrates, audio sample rate, image cropping, and many more. The DVD ripping is GPU accelerated to offer a fast conversion speed. The best part is, its unique Enlarger AI (sold separately) can be applied to upscale the DVD video from 480P to 1080P with high quality.
No.10 - Any Video Converter Ultimate
Any Video Converter Ultimate lets you rip DVD, convert videos, record screen, burn DVD, and download videos. After downloading it on Mac running on Mac OS X from 10.7 to 10.15, you can easily convert DVDs to MP4, M4V, AVI, WMV, MOV, WMA, MP3, and 200+ other formats. If you need to extract the CD music to a playable audio file, it also helps. With GPU acceleration, you don't need to worry about the ripping speed.
However, before you download the DVD ripper on Mac, there are things to note. The biggest drawback of it is the lack of support for ripping protected DVDs. To remove the DVD encryptions, you will need to download another program called DVDSmith Movie Backup. This free program can help AVC deal with encrypted discs. But it's available for Windows only. Also, avoid it if you want one click to convert DVDs to the latest devices.
How Do I Rip a DVD to My Mac for Free
The above-mentioned Mac DVD rippers are equally matched. What matter most is whether the program fits your bill. For a quality-loss DVD ripping, MakeMKV and Mac The Ripper are second to none. But if you have hundreds of discs and want to have your entire DVD library backed up onto hard drive at fast speed without exhausting your storage space, MacX DVD ripper, Handbrake, VLC, iSuper DVD Ripper are your good options.
While if the last thing you want to do is to end up with errors just because the new title comes with tricky protection scheme or the DVD is formatted unnaturally, the ultimate choice is to download MacX DVD Ripper, which not only features great DVD decryption ability, but also comes with unique level-3 hardware acceleration tech that can speed up the whole process and maintain good balance between quality and size.
You can follow the tutorial below and learn how to rip a DVD on a Mac using MacX DVD Ripper Mac Free Edition with best balance in speed, qulaity and size.
Step 1: Insert DVD into your Mac drive
Prior to the ripping, make sure to spare some space to save the final rip. Then free download the DVD ripper on your Mac and insert your disc. Run the software and click 'Add DVD' button to load the disc. You can also convert DVD folder or ISO image to a digital format.
MacX DVD Ripper Mac Free Edition will easily find the accurate main title. For DVDs with tough protections, MacXDVD's unique title check mechanism and DVD analysis algorithm automatically scan the title, crack severely protected DVDs and smooth the ripping process.
Free download the DVD ripper on Mac >>
Free download the DVD ripper on Windows >>
Step 2: Choose the output format
The Mac specific library also offers diversified options, ranging from back up DVD to ISO image, MKV, MPG, to convert DVD to Apple, Android, TVs, Web. Here are the further suggestions:
- To view DVD on players, phones, tablets, TVs, or so, choose digital format MP4 H.264 for better compatibility, quality and smaller file siz. With no further tweaking, it achieves an H.264 file with crisp picture.
- To play DVD on newer iPhones or iPads running on iOS 11/12, choose digital format MP4 HEVC for higher quality and smaller space.
- To save an original copy with menus and extras, copy DVD to ISO image. The disc image contains the whole data of the disc at 1:1 ratio for later burning but ha s less compatibility with media players and devices.
You can also enable the editing features, available for you to cut the commercials, merge the useful parts, add subtitles to the movie rip, etc.
Step 3: Start ripping the DVD on Mac
Click Browse button to specify the output folder and press RUN to begin DVD ripping. Just leave the rest to the DVD ripper. It will finish the process quickly.
Optional: Transfer Ripped Movies to iPad or iPhone.
After the DVD ripping, you can use Finder to transfer the ripped file to your phone or tablet. Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac using a USB or Wi-Fi connection. Select the device in the Finder sidebar > Movies > check the box “Sync movies onto [device name]”> choose the movie you want to sync > click Apple. Or you can rely on third-party data transfer software such as MacX MediaTrans for help.
MacXDVD's ripping performance is impressive on an iMac 5K (3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon R9 M380, 2048MB, on Big Sur). We tested several titles, including the classic Star Trek, and new releases Frozen 2, Venon, Incredible 2. It did a great job selecting the right title. While Handbrake, VLC or other free Mac DVD rippers, though with the help of third-party tool like libdvdcss, either popped up error message, quitted unexpectedly, or produced problematic rips.
The conversion frequency of MacX DVD Ripper Mac Free Edition reached averagely 240 fps, twice as high as that of Handbrake. It took 12 minutes to convert the full-length Frozen 2 DVD to MP4, while we could still view web pages and do other tasks since the CPU usage remains as low as 131-134%. Bear in mind, DVD encoding speed is greatly dependant on your computer configuration. Higher config will lead to great performance.
As to the quality, MacXDVD repackages the movie content from DVD MPEG2 to MKV, which doesn't affect the output quality at all while preserving all video, audio and subtitle tracks. We also tested the DVD transcoding feature, which is known to lead to some quality loss inevitably. Fortunately, MacXDVD created a small .mp4 file with 720x480 (16:9) in 1.61GB from the 7.84GB DVD, and there wasn't any noticeable change between the source DVD and ripped file, but merely pixel-level difference.
You can definitely download MacX DVD Ripper Mac Free Edition for a try.
FAQ about DVD Ripping
Q1. Is It Legal to Rip DVDs on Mac?
Many users who want to space-shift or format-shirt their legally purchased DVD or Blu-ray discs often concern about the legality of DVD ripping. The fact is, currently it is considered illegal to rip copyrighted DVDs in US, even if you bought the DVDs yourself. Some other countries have already made it legal. In practice, as the DVD conversion happens locally on your computer, you won't get prosecuted or caught if you don't distribute the digital copies. However, you're highly suggested to obey to the law where you live. Check if it's legal to rip copy protected DVDs in your country.
Q2. Can I Rip a DVD to My Mac with Mac Build-in App?
No. The DVD ripping process on Mac doesn't go as simple as burning, which can be achieved with Mac's built-in app like Finder or iDVD. While the former is still out of reach with Mac unless you own a third-party DVD converter software.
Free Mp4 To Dvd Converter For Mac
This is because almost all DVD movies or TV shows bought or rented are technically copyrighted and DVD rips will inevitably involve in breaking DVD copy protections, e.g. the Content Scramble System. Such action is currently unlawful in the US and UK. Apple is of course unwilling to set against law or money in consideration of continuous cooperation with U.S. studios for iTunes movies. Therefore, there is no built-in method to rip DVD to Mac. This makes it a sense to download a third-party DVD ripper for Mac instead.
Q3. How do I Rip a Protected DVD on a Mac?
For DVDs encoded with CSS or region code, you can install libdvdcss on Mac or windows to crack the DVD copy protection and then rip the DVD with Handbrake or VLC.
Chances are DVDs from major film studios like Disney, Sony, Warner Bros., etc. often impose strong protections on DVDs. These discs are deliberately placed with bad information and hide the true titles. As a result, 99% of DVD rippers for Mac will go awry like DVD won't load, encounter a large number of tracks with the same runtime, show impossibly 40gb or more of data but output just several KB.To rip the severely protected DVDs, the workaround is to resort to MacX DVD ripper that is built in DVD analysis scheme to crack Sony ARccOS, Disney X-project DRM, UOP, 99-titles, and more.
Q4. What Is the Best Format to Rip DVD to Mac?
Apple apps such as Mac's default player QuickTime, Photos, and Keynote work with many video formats, among which MP4 and MOV are well-known with the best compatibility. When digitizing DVD with free DVD ripper for Mac, many users are at a loss whether to choose MP4 or MOV.
* MP4 - Both MP4 and MOV use lossy video compression to sacrifice minimal quality for file size. MP4 is popular for streaming over the internet and playable on Mac, Windows and almost all media players, say VLC, 5KPlayer, QT, etc. But P-frames or B-frames in MP4 makes it difficult to edit.
* MOV - As MOV is originally developed by Apple for its QuickTime player, it's much friendlier in Apple ecosystem. MOV contains one or more tracks, meant to store each type of data including audio, video, subtitle, etc in a hierarchical structure, which is good for editing. So for Mac computers, to convert DVD to digital MOV for Mac QuickTime is more preferred than MP4.
Q5. Is it Prossible to Rip Scratched DVD on Mac?
DVDs are too fragile, that's why we need to backup the DVD collection. If your discs are already damaged or scratched, there are measures to remedy.
- For a bit of stretches on the surface, polish the surface with cotton balls and abrasive white toothpaste or Brasso plolish. You need to polish across the grain and do not in circular direction. This need patience.
- For deep scratches and servere damages, you can take the damaged disk to a local DVD store with a polishing machine or other places like Phoenix to resurface the badly scuffed disc. This will cost for a couple of dollars. Or if the standalone DVD player with error-recovery scheme can ignore the errors and play the DVD, you can capture the movie with a DV. But this will lost the selectable audio, subtitles streams and original menus.
Note: if the program refuses to rip a well-conditioned DVD with an error stating that there is a bad sector, it's because the DVD is protected by a copy protection scheme from Sony named ARccOS. The system deliberately mixes corrupted sectors with the correct one to mislead DVD copying software.
Though that DVD burning (e.g. Burn MP4 to DVD on Mac) gradually becomes outdated, it’s still a necessary function for certain people. If you just need to save some space on your Mac, you can put the MP4 video into a folder right-click it choose the option to burn your folder to disk.
by Christine Smith • 2020-10-26 21:03:13 • Proven solutions
When your MP4 files are so perfect that you are eager to save them forever, the best way is to convert MP4 to DVD. Burn MP4 to DVD is very easy, but there are a lot of options and editing choices you can make, turning your video into a professional, high-quality movie. No matter if you filmed your video on a cell phone/hand-held video camera, or have still images you want to assemble into a DVD. MP4 to DVD converters can help you put together the right features and output options to make it happen! Free MP4 to DVD Converters for Windows/Mac also be introduced here.
- 10 Best Free DVD Burner for Mac #1) Burn. Burn, while simple, is a well-known free DVD burner for Mac, and has gained a wide reputation to make playable DVDs. It‘s able to burn audio and video files, but it requires converting your media files to MP3 and MPG before burning. Burn app can handle the conversion processes.
- MPEG-4 Part 14 or MP4, formally ISO/IEC 144, is a multimedia container format standard specified as a part of MPEG-4. It is most commonly used to store digital video and digital audio streams, especially those defined by MPEG, but can also be used to store other data such as subtitles and still images.
Part 1. 10 Most Helpful MP4 to DVD Converters for Windows
1. Wondershare UniConverter - Best MP4 to DVD Burner
Wondershare UniConverter - Best MP4 to DVD Converter for Windows/Mac (Catalina Included)
- Directly convert MP4 to VOB (DVD-Video), AVI, MKV, MOV, and other 1000 formats.
- Burn any video like MP4 to DVD, ISO, or DVD folder in batch.
- Customize DVD with free DVD templates and DVD parameters like Aspect ratio, TV standard, quality, etc.
- Edit videos with advanced video editing functions, like trimming, cropping, adding watermarks, subtitles, etc.
- Download or record videos from YouTube and other 10,000+ video sharing sites.
- Add/Transfer DVD videos to Apple or Android devices directly.
- Supported OS: Windows NT4/2000/2003/XP/Vista/7/8, and Windows 10 (32 bit & 64 bit), macOS 11.0, 10.15, 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6
Developer: Wondershare Company
Price: $39.95 per year
Steps on how to Convert MP4 to DVD with Wondershare UniConverter:
Here is a summary on how to convert MP4 to DVD in 3 steps. You can find details as below:
- Step 1: Import MP4 files to this MP4 to DVD converter.
- Step 2: (Optional) Adjust DVD Settings per your needs.
- Step 3: Convert MP4 to DVD Windows 10.
Step 1 Import MP4 files to this MP4 to DVD converter.
After downloading and installing this DVD maker, you can launch it. Please click the DVD Burner tab on the main interface's left side, click Add Files to add MP4 files from the pop-up window, or directly drag and drop your MP4 videos into it.
Note: You can burn multiple MP4 files to DVD once, so you can just import as many files as you want.
Step 2 (Optional) Adjust DVD Settings per your needs.
Change DVD templates from the setting area on the program's right, then set the DVD label, menu type, aspect ratio, TV standard, and quality based on your needs. Alternatively, you can use the default parameters.
1. If you'd like to customize your MP4 video before burning, just click the Editing buttons under the imported video thumbnails. Then just play your talent using the advanced video editing features, including trimming, cropping, adding watermark and subtitle; learn more how to edit MP4 videos >.
2. You can also set customized settings of your DVD, including the aspect ratio (16:9, 4:3), the DVD quality (Standard, High quality or Fit to disc), and the DVD format (DVD folder, ISO files or DVD).
Step 3 Convert MP4 to DVD Windows 10.
After the above settings, choose the destination folder to save the burned video and then tap the Burn button at the right bottom corner, the program will start burning soon, and you will find the burned files in a while.
Watch Video Tutorial to Convert MP4 to DVD on Windows 10
If you're interested in free convert DVD to MP4, just move to How to Convert DVD to MP4 >> to learn more.
2. Freemake - Free MP4 to DVD Converter
- Ad-supported freeware with watermark.
- Offers guides to using in detail online.
- Include videos from online sources like Youtube and Facebook on your DVD.
- Use still photos to create a slideshow and burn it to DVD.
Developer: Ellora Assets Corporation
Price: Free, with paid upgrade version $9 per year.
3. DVD Flick
- Very low hardware requirements.
- Many uncommon codecs are supported.
- Opensource development means features can be scripted in.
- Advanced users will enjoy using AviSynth to add functionality.
Developer: Dennis Meuwissen
4. Free DVD Burner for Windows
- Most codes are supported.
- Add titles and control burn rate.
- Create DVD format files and save to disk.
Developer: MiniDVDSoft Software Development
5. Sothink DVD Maker
- Quick conversion speeds.
- Customizable menu templates build in.
- Support editing and enhancement.
- Create DVD format files and save to disk.
Developer: MiniDVDSoft Software Development
Price: $36.99 for a 1-year license
- Many conversion options, including Apple format output.
- Multilingual support.
- Options for professional-level conversion.
- A simple interface.
Developer: Converter Lite
7. RZ DVD Creator
- Straightforward three-step conversion process with easy to use interface.
- Create titles, chapters, and menus.
- Create subtitles.
- Burn multiple videos to one DVD.
Developer: RealZeal Soft, Inc.
8. WinX DVD Creator
Best Free Dvd To Mp4 Converter For Mac
- Great for first-timers, easy-to-use interface.
- Intuitive interface.
- Create DVD chapter titles and menus.
Developer: Digiarty Software
- Great for first-timers, easy to use interface.
- Well-designed interface.
- Create DVD chapter titles and menus.
Developer: AnyMP4 Studio
Price: EUR 21.25
10. Movavi Video Converter
- Lots of professional features.
- Multilanguage support.
- Control encoding.
- Create DVD chapter titles and menus.
Part 2. 5 Recommended MP4 to DVD Burners for Mac
1. Wondershare Free Video Converter for Mac - Free MP4 to DVD Converters Mac
- Super-fast conversion and burning from MP4 to DVD.
- Burn MP4 to DVD with free menu templates and convert DVD to MP4 easily.
- Smart online video downloader.
- Support editing and enhancement.
2. AVS Video Converter
- Output to Apple, Samsung, and Sony formats and others.
- Upload directly to social media.
- Audio and video effects options.
- Storyboard interface.
- Editing and enhancement feature built-in.
3. Movavi Video Converter for Mac
- Lots of professional features.
- Multilanguage support.
- Control encoding.
- Create DVD chapter titles and menus.
4. Voilabits DVD Creator for Mac
- Free DVD menu templates and music.
- Edit and enhance videos.
- Camcorder->Video->DVD support.
- DVD-5 and DVD-9 are supported.
Developer: Voilabits, Inc.
5. MacX Video Converter Pro
- NTSC VOB and PAL VOB is supported.
- Edit and enhance videos.
- Support crop videos, record screen, and Watermarks.
Developer: Digiarty Software, Inc.
There are many DVD burners for Windows and Mac that can help you convert MP4 to DVD or convert other video formats to DVDs such as VOB to DVD, etc. But the most recommended one is Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate), due to its rich features and excellent performance.
Before burning your MP4 videos to DVD, you must have the proper file structure. This structure includes AUDIO_TS folder, VIDEO_TS folder and the require files, so that you can use your home DVD player to play your favorite video or movie. Then it should be burned onto a DVD-R disc for a clear picture and crisp sound quality. Some players will handle a DVD+R, but your best bet is a DVD-R, because DVD-R came out first and has been used on almost all dvd players. DVD+R was later, and not many dvd players can read DVD+ (unless it says so on the box). To make sure that you can burn MP4 to DVD successfully, you can also try burning the disc using a slower burn speed. When burn speed is reduced, it takes longer time to complete the disc, but the writing process is more likely to finish successfully and a completed disc has more reliable playback for other devices.
It's so complicated, isn't it? Then how to burn/convert MP4 to DVD and easily make a playable DVD? Here we introduce you top 10 best MP4 to DVD creating software and show you how to burn MP4 video to a DVD.
Top 10 best MP4 to DVD creating software
In this part, 10 great and reputable MP4 to DVD creators are introduced. Keep reading and find a suitable one to burn your favorite MP4 video to DVD with ease.
Top 1. Tipard DVD Creator (for Windows/Mac)
Free Mp4 To Dvd Format Converter
Tipard DVD Creator is an excellent DVD creating program that can help you make DVD disc, DVD folder and ISO file from MP4, FLV, AVI, MKV and other formats within simple clicks.
- 1. Support most popular video formats, including MP4, MKV, AVI, DVD, WMV and more.
- 2. Add audio track and subtitles to DVD video.
- 3. Personalize menu, button, frame, background music, text and picture.
- 4. Edit video by cropping, trimming, mergin, adding watermark, adjusting effect, etc.
- 5. Provide superfast speed to create DVD.
Steps of converting DVD to iPhone compatible formats:
Download and Launch mp4 to dvd mac/windows software
Install MP4 to DVD creator for Mac or Windows by clicking either of the above buttons according to your operating system. Launch the program and you will see the right interface.
Load Your MP4 Videos
Click the 'Add File' button in the toolbar and select the MP4 video files you want to burn into DVD. Click the Open button to import MP4 files.
Customize DVD menu
Click the 'Edit Menu' button at the top of Preview pane. Select DVD menu template and customize the frame, button and text as you like.
Start to burn MP4 to DVD
Click 'convert' button to start the conversion. In a few clicks, DVD file will be converted toMP4 or MP3 successfully as you wish for playing on your iPhone.
Top 2. Free DVD Creator (for Windows)
As a usefl MP4 to DVD creating freeware, Free DVD Burner can help you burn and create DVD files with MP4 videos. It has a great burning speed, and the output DVD videos are playable on any home DVD player. It also support other most popular video formats besides MP4. Many people love it because of its user-friendly interface and easy-to-use features. It enables you to know the left DVD space storage.
Top 3. DVD Flick (for Windows)
As one of the best DVD tools, DVD Flick has many great features. With this program, you can easily burn any popular video in MP4, WMV, FLV, AVI, SWF, QuickTime MOV and so on to MP4 within simple clicks. It has the capability to convert more than 40 kinds of file to your DVD disk. The software also enables you to set subtitles/menu, add audio tracks and enjoy other features.
Top 4. Disco (for Mac)
For Mac users, Disco is an easy-to-use CD/DVD tool to convert and burn CDs and DVDs. This Mac DVD burning program can help you perfectly make homemade DVD with MP4 video file. Besides, it can also be applied in all Apple compatible external/internal DVD/CD burning freeware. However, it can only work on Mac OS.
Top 5. DVDStyler (for Mac)
DVDStyler is another useful DVD program, which enables you to create DVD menus before you burn DVD with videos in MP4, AVI and other video formats. It runs perfectly on Mac OS. Different with other DVD burners, DVDStyler allows you to create menus like some professional ones.
Top 6. iSkysoft DVD Creator (for Mac/Windows)
Working well on both Windows and Mac OS, iSkysoft DVD Creator can help you easily burn any homemade DVD with files in MP4 and other video formats with ease. Before burning MP4 to DVD, you can also use its great editing features to edit the input video. However, more features should be enjoyed unless you download and install its paid version.
Top 7. Zamzar (Online Converter)
If you don't want to download any software on your PC or Mac, you can choose an reputable online MP4 to DVD converter to have a try. Zamzar is one of the most popular free online file converter. It can help you easily convert MP4 and other video files to DVD with ease. However, as a online converter, it may take a longer time to input the video files if you want to convert a lager one. It also has a size limitation for the input video file unless you download its unlimited paid version.
Top 8. DVD Maker.co (for Mac/Windows)
DVD Maker.co is one of good DVD freeware. The program can help you easily make MP4 to DVD conversion. Besides, it features many video effects so that you can add them to your video. You are able to edit video with its powerful editing options. If you want to add some background music or make some transition effect to the target video before burning DVD, the program can be your choice.
Top 9. DeVeDe (for Windows)
Free Mp4 To Dvd For Mac Osx
DeVeDe is a great DVD tool for Windows users. With the software, you are able to easily convert your preferred video to DVD with great quality on any version of Windows, including Windows 10/8/7. It is a simple-to-use program.
Top 10. Sothink DVD Movie Maker (for Windows)
As its name indicates, Sothink DVD Movie Maker is a DVD program that allows you to input any preferred video file and it can help you to make video to DVD conversion. Its interface is user-friendly. The program enables you to edit the input video. What's more, it supports converting video files in batch at the same time. It provides a fast converting speed. With the software, you are able to easily convert MP4 to DVD. But it only works on Windows computer.
In this article, we mainly list 10 best MP4 to DVD creator software to you. Have you found your suitable one? You are recommended to download and install Tipard DVD Creator to have a try. You will find its magic when you create your personalized DVD.
Follow @Lily Stark
November 08, 2016 11:33
- How to Burn Movies to DVD Effectively
Here's we include the best solutions to encode movies and burn movies to DVD. Learn today and enjoy your favorite movies on larger screen freely forever.
- 5 Best YouTube to DVD Converters to Create a Special Collection
How to burn videos of YouTube to DVD? This article will introduce top 5 applications to convert YouTube videos to DVD easily.
- How to Make a Custom DVD Menu with a DVD Menu Creator
Here are the best ways to make a custom DVD menu with a DVD menu creator. Choose the one you like to create a charming DVD menu.
- How to Convert MP4 to DVD on Windows and Mac
Converting MP4 to DVD can be easier than you think. Here are the best solutions to convert MP4 to DVD on Windows and Mac computers.